Monday, June 9, 2014

Tools of my Trade

So for today's post I decided to show you the tools I use and some of the processes I use.

The above pictures show some of the tools I use when achieving color on a horse. After prepping a horse I prime it with Krylon ColorMaster Primer. After that cures I "sock" it which is basically rubbing the horse with a sock to cut down on flaws. 
A nicely primed model
soon to be portrait of Chicoteague pony stallion Riptide
Then I begin applying layers of color using pastels and earth pigments and sealing them in with Krylon Matte Sealer. As with watercolor you start with the lightest color and build up to the darkest. I prefer to use earth pigments because it takes less time to achieve the color I want.

Portrait model of Ajax, almost ready for shading
After I finish the base color I begin shading with a slightly darker pigment. It depends on my reference picture on how dark I shade.

Stay tuned for a video on how I create my white markings and do my detailing!

No comments:

Post a Comment