Wednesday, July 11, 2012

How I Airbrush a Chestnut part 1

Hi all! Have you ever wondered how to airbrush a red chestnut? Here is how I do it (there are probably a hundred more ways to do this, but this is the easiest way for me).
Here is what you need 1) a prepped horse 2) an airbrush (I use the badger brand) 3) compressor/air cans  4) Burnt Sienna acrylic paint 5) Metallic Gold acrylic paint 6) Liquitex Airbrush Medium (you can also use water)


Start out with a nicely prepped horse, in this case my in progress sales piece American Saddlebred Breyer Stablemate.

having a turntable that is usually used for cakes is very helpful too


Mix together equal parts the Burnt Sienna and Metallic Gold in your airbrushing jar, it should fill about 3/4ths of the jar.

black line is where paint should stop


Fill the the jar the rest of the way with the Liqutex Airbrush medium, and mix with the paint. It should have a consistency of  Heavy Whipping Cream.
what the bottle looks like


I find the metallic make the color glow


Airbrush one or two coats, and seal

your coat color is done!


Part 2 will be up in a couple days-it will cover how I do my shading, whites, and detailing.

No comments:

Post a Comment