Sunday, June 2, 2013

DIY Greek Goddess Costume


Hello again! I know its now where near Halloween, but a friend of mine threw a birthday/end of the school year masquerade and I figured I would share how I did it! First my supplies list -

  • a blank mask
  • sculpy/apoxie/and type of clay
  • silver spray paint
  • green glitter 
  • glow in the dark glitter
  • long/short flowy dress in silver or green 
  • gladiator sandals or shoes of your choice
  • optional to customize your dress:
    • glittery add ons
    • ribbon
The Greek goddess I'm going as is Artemis, goddess of the hunt, animals, and moon (she is the goddess of many other things to but theses are the things I based my mask off of). The first thing I did was search for pictures to inspire me - these are a few I found:



Some of the elements that I wanted to put in my mask was the silver, green, moon, and stag. So I went off to Adobe Illustrator (you could use anything to do this step or skip it completely) to do some potential designs. My final design was this -


Next I got down to actually making the mask. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the steps I took, but first I sculpted a half moon out of sculpy, dried it, and super glued it to the mask. Next I spray painted it silver and drew on the outlines of the animals. Then I painted the outlines in metallic green and added glitter. Annd I'm done! Whoo! Here is the finished product -  


The next thing to do is find a dress - you don't need anything fancy, you can even get a dress from a thrift shop! I got a a dress from Ross that just needed a little tweaking to get it just right.


The dress is a dark greyish green. The one thing I didn't like was the waste band so I'm adding silver ribbon. It also has a little peak-a-boo hole right above my chest and I'm adding the glittery stone inside it.
Next is the hair - I drew inspiration from Daenerys Targaryen from the show Game of Thrones.

Shout out to my mom for adapting the look to my short hair!


The final look:

sorry for the lack of mask, all the pics I have with the mask on
are crappy.

                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment